CARE & MAINTENANCE
Easier to maintain than other stone surface materials, such as granite, Viatera® will provide years of captivating beauty and hygienic reassurance. Please review the following section to ensure you get the most out of your Viatera Quartz countertops.
Viatera is resistant to most stains including wine, lemon juice, tea, coffee, and fruits and vegetables. Normal cleaning only requires the use of a damp cloth and a mild household detergent. For best results, clean spills as soon as possible.
Stains & Spills
While Viatera is stain-resistant, some stains might be more difficult to remove than others. For tough stains, mild non-abrasive cleansers are a good solution to restoring your surface?s original appearance.
- For dried spills, a non-abrasive scrub pad can be used. Rinse thoroughly and wipe with a damp cloth to remove all residue.
- For tough spots made by substances such as paint, gum, grease or food, carefully use a razor blade to scrape away the residue prior to cleaning. The scraping may leave a grey metal mark on the surface and can easily be cleaned off us a recommended cleanser and non-abrasive pad. Buff with a damp cloth.
- For stubborn spots or stains, apply a pad of soaked paper towels and approved cleanser to the area and allow it to sit for a few minutes. After proceed with necessary cleaning methods and buffing.
Dark Colors and Honed Finishes
Honed finishes require more frequent cleaning to maintain their appearance. Metal marks, fingerprints and other signs of daily wear will be more apparent. The removal of visible marks such as these can be easily performed using a non-abrasive pad and any of the recommended cleaning products listed on this page.
Under ordinary use, dark colors will show dirt, dust, rubs, fingerprints and watermarks more readily than lighter-colored surfaces. Naturally, these colors will require more maintenance and upkeep to maintain their appearance.
Viatera is not indestructible!
Viatera is one of the toughest countertop surfaces available, but there are a few things that can damage it. Avoid contact with harsh chemicals or solvents, especially those containing trichlorethane or methylene chloride, found in car batteries, furniture strippers, oven cleaners, as well as products containing bleach. These substances can cause permanent discoloration and surface damage. In the event any of these agents come in contact with the surface, wipe immediately, rinse with water, and then clean with vinegar-based cleaner. If stain persists, contact the supplier/installer of your Viatera surface.
Do not use abrasive and/or alkaline cleaning products, such as 3M Scotch Brite green scrub pads or similar products, as they can dull the surface. When trying a new cleaning product, it is recommended that you always try the cleaner first on an inconspicuous area.
Excessive/prolonged heat can damage your Viatera surface — always use a trivet between the countertop and any hot pan or heat source. While Viatera is scratch-resistant, materials harder than quartz can scratch it. For example, the bottom of some ceramic dishes may be abrasive enough to inflict minor damage to the surface. Also, be aware that Viatera can be chipped or cracked if it is heavily impacted.
The following are recommended bleach-free, non-abrasive commercial cleaners for the routine care and maintenance of your Viatera Quartz surface:
- Simple Green® lime-scale remover
- Vinegar cleaner (diluted)
- Bar Keeper's Friend®
- Formula 409® Glass and Surface Cleaner
- Greased Lightning®